"It was fun and practical and gave transferrable skills that can be used across the school curriculum."
We offer our qualification through an OCN Forest School training package that suits your needs, from a basic introduction to an in-depth course enabling you to set up and run your own Forest School.
The course will teach you learning styles, interesting fun activities to use with both adults and children and give candidates a two-day mixture of outdoor practical and classroom based activities to ensure you leave with the basic knowledge of Forest School practice.
The course is a mixture of outdoor practical work and some classroom based learning. On completion of the course, candidates will be qualified as an assistant to the Forest School leader.
Candidates will learn about different learning styles, how Forest School develops children holistically, the positive effects that forest school makes to children’s self-esteem and well-being, developing your own forest school site and preparing forest school programmes for children. A mixture of classroom based and outdoor learning results in a qualification that entitles the candidate to lead Forest School sessions that includes making fires and using tools.
• Understanding theories of learning, play and development and issues that can impact behaviour
• Understanding of how holistic development, self confidence and emotional literacy are supported by outdoor learning.
• Understanding the ecology of a natural learning environment and the sustainable use of natural resources
• Ability to assess and evaluate outdoor learning programmes
• Ability to teach practical tasks such as the use of hand tools, tying knots, building shelters and campfire management
• Ability to produce all the policies, procedures and strategies required for setting up a Coastal School.
• Understanding the specific impact of weather and tides on the coastal environment
1. Level 3 supporting learning, play and
development in the outdoors
2. Level 3 observation and evaluation of
3. Level 3 sustainable use of natural resources
4. Level 3 teach outdoor practical skills
5. Level 3 Coastal School Leader
The course is 7 days of classroom and woodland based tuition, at Manor House Forest School
The 8th day is an assessment of your work, and this date is arranged with you and the forest school trainer whilst on the course
This course is only available for those who have a Level 3 Forest School Practitioner qualification
The course is 7 days at a beach location in Thanet, and classroom-based study at Manor House Forest School on the Quex Park Estate, Birchington. The 8th day is an assessment of your work and this date is arranged with you and the Coastal School Trainer